PLEASE NOTE: Plan review fee for commercial permits is due at time of application submittal.

How do I Pay for a Permit?

At this time, the City of Lone Tree cannot accept online payment. Payments can be made over the phone or in person. We accept cash, checks, or credit cards (no American Express). There is a 2.3% service charge for credit card payment.

Do I Need a Permit?

A permit is generally required for any new building, addition, alteration, repair or change in use of an existing building or structure and site improvements.

Commercial Examples Include:

  • Tenant finish

  • Interior demolition

  • HVAC equipment

  • Restroom or lobby remodel

  • Elevator alteration

  • Permanent Signage

Permits are generally not required for painting, floor coverings, other similar finish work and kitchen cabinet installation. Exterior painting of commercial and multi-family buildings may require Planning Division approval of an amendment to the Site Improvement Plan. Prior to repainting exteriors, please contact the City Planning Division at 303-708-1818 to confirm whether planning approval will be required.

Do New Residential Homes Need to be Sprinklered?

The City of Lone Tree Municipal Code requires builders of one- or two-family dwellings and townhouses to offer a purchaser the option to install an automatic residential fire sprinkler system in the dwelling unit at the purchaser's cost prior to entering into the purchase contract. Please see the documents below for further information.

Residential Sprinkler Option Form

Home Fire Sprinkler System Consumer Information Handout

What are the Construction Hours?

Exterior construction shall be limited to the hours of 7:00 am to 7:00 pm on Monday through Friday, and shall be limited to the hours of 8:00 am to 6:00 pm on Saturday, Sunday and state legal holidays. Interior construction shall be limited to the hours of 7:00 am to 9:00 pm.

Do I need a contractor license?

The City of Lone Tree does not license contractors. We do adhere to the state of Colorado licensing requirements for contractors. Your state of Colorado Electrical and/or Plumbing license number must be annotated on the building permit.

The City of Lone Tree requires that all plumbing and electrical sub-contractors provide us with a copy of their state and master licenses at the time of permit application.

Do I need a business License?

A City of Lone Tree Business License is required. The City of Lone Tree requires a Business License if you are engaged in business in the City of Lone Tree.

“Engaged in business in the City” means:

  • A contractor or trade doing work in the City of Lone Tree

  • Selling

  • Leasing

  • Hiring for use

  • Delivering tangible personal property and taxable services in the City by:

  • Retail sale for use

  • Storage

  • Distribution

  • Consumption

Contact the administration offices at 303-708-1818 for more information.

How do I request an Inspection?

General Information

When you receive your building permit, you will receive information regarding inspection requirements.


You may schedule inspections by calling our Inspection Line at 303-225-4941.

All inspections requested before midnight will be scheduled for the following business day.


If an Inspector finds some work does not meet the code requirements, you will be advised to make the corrections and asked to call for a re-inspection. Note: some additional fees may apply.

Final Inspections

Rough and final inspections will assure you the work has met the City’s requirements. This is for your protection and for the safety of all residents.

The remote name could not be resolved: ''